Working out is one of the best things you can do to yourself. It helps keep you fit and healthy, makes you skin better, keeps you fresh, and what not. While working out can make your skin glow, all the sweat and dirt, and sun exposure can damage your skin, too. The exercise part really does wonders to your skin. However, all the other variables can work towards reversing that effect, and making the skin dull. The biggest skin issue related to working out is acne!
Acne is one of the excuses why people tend to stay away from the gym. Those nasty pimples are not related to the workout, they are related to the environment.
Here are the reasons why your skin acts up when you start going to the gym.
- You sweat when you workout. (Duh!) But when that sweat gets mixed with oil, dead skin cells and dirt, it may clog your pores, and in turn cause acne.
- Yoga mats have all kinds of germs on it. When you do poses that makes you skin touch the mat, it’s hazardous for your skin health.
- Wiping the sweat away from your face vigorously can affect your skin condition as well.
Following are some of the things you can do in gym to prevent acne and keep your skin fresh and glowing.
- Don’t wipe away the sweat and don’t place your hands on the face while working out. Always keep a towelette with you, and when you get too sweaty just dab it all over your face. Don’t be harsh.
Make sure you keep it folded and only touch the inner part of the towelette on your skin. So even if it is thrown on the floor, because it will be folded, the inner part of the towelette will remain clean.
Also, make sure you wash it every time after gym.
- Don’t touch your face on the mat, no matter how clean you think it is. Place your towelette on the mat. Make sure that only the outer part of it is placed on the ground, when you take it off the ground, fold it in a way that the other side of the towelette (the one you placed your face on) is folded. That way it’ll remain clean.
- Don’t wear anything on your face, especially makeup. If you’re wearing a moisturizer, make sure it’s not too oily. You need to let your skin breathe.
Gym Skincare Routine
Here is all the things I use and the way I use it to keep my skin healthy even when going to gym.
- Before going to the gym, I like to cleanse my face. I use a charcoal infused face wash (but nothing too intense); I use it daily.
- I moisturize my face with a water-based moisturizer. I like to use the L’Oreal Hydra moisturizer; it’s very light and I love the way it feels on my skin.
Now here is the secret:
- After you’re done with the workout, make sure you wash your face in the gym washroom. Don’t wait till you come back home. Take a face wash with you and a moisturizer. Cleanse the face of all that dirt and sweat and oil. I like to use YC Neem face wash which is made specifically for pimples; just to be extra sure.
Also, don’t wipe your face with the towelette. Just let it air dry, or use tissues.
- When I come home, I like to use a face scrub. Currently I’m using the apricot scrub by St. Ive’s. It’s really good and has acne medication. I do this step every three days so that I’m not too harsh on the skin.
- Every week, I love to use a detoxifying mask on my skin to deep cleanse. Currently, I’m in love with L’Oreal detoxifying clay mask; the black one.
And that’s it! That’s how I like to take care of my skin, and honestly, my skin has never been better!
What’s your gym skin care tip?
Youtube: /Munazza Bangash